Thursday, October 2, 2008

Weekly Recipe Yum Yum

I don't mean to brag but I throw down in the kitchen and so does my man, when I have time I go all out but when I don't I get creative to quickly make some bomb ass food. Most of the food we make is a healthy twist to traditional Filipino dishes, but this right here I got from my god mother and its Portuguese. This one is good cause you can make a lot and then freeze it and it is still delicious. Me and my hubby have both been sick in the last month so I decided to make something that would get our colds away. (when I was little, my mama would make me take cayenne pills whenever I was sick, I hated it but now I add cayenne to soup when ever I'm sick. it works!) for those cold sick days.

*I just made it and this time i used soy chorizo for the first time,it turned out pretty good, I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat pork or beef, if i make posting recipes a regular thang on here I will try to always post a veggie version (shout out to Braia and Laura on a mission to saving the animals).

KALE AND CHORIZO SOUP:

Ingrediants

2 tablespoon olive oil
1½ pounds chorizo sausage; sliced 1/2 slices
1 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoon minced garlic
2 large white potatoes; peeled and diced
3 quart chicken stock
4 cup rinsed and stemmed kale; cut into 1 strips
(2
bay leaves
¼ teaspoon dried thyme) or whatever spices ya got in the kitchen
1 pinch crushed red pepper
¼ cup finely-chopped parsley or basil
and some
fresh mint

In a large pot, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chorizo and onions. Saute the mixture for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock and kale and bring the liquid up to a boil. Stir in the bay leaves, thyme and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender ( for about 30 minutes). Remove from the heat and skim off any fat. Stir in the parsley or basil. Depending on how sick I am I add a lot of cayenne and pepper to the soup...a little garlic bread on the side is nice with this.

No comments: